Friday 23 March 2012

Home Made Muesli

I've been making my own muesli for a while now, the idea came from watching Te Radar in his attempt to live a self-sufficient life in a series called Off The Radar. It is also great because it is filling, it is wheat free if you choose and you can add what ever you want, there is no set ingredients!

In a jug I mix together 1/2c honey and 1/4c canola oil, melt in microwave and mix it up, then rub it into 1.5 kg bag of Homebrand Quick Oats and mix in whatever nuts and seeds you like.

I have Pumpkin seeds, Linseeds, Sunflower seeds,
Walnuts, Cashews and Almonds
Bake in a preheated oven at 180c. 


Now this is important!
Mix the muesli every few minutes so it doesn't burn at the bottom or stick together.
This should take 20-30 minutes, or until as golden brown as you prefer.


Once done, leave to cool a bit, then add your dried fruit. 
I have used apricots, mango, pineapple and sultanas.


I also like yoghurt covered sultanas, but it is important to wait until muesli is
 completely cooled before you add these.
Give it a good mix then pour into your cereal container. 


ENJOY!

I like to top it off with stewed fruit and yoghurt for a super filling breakfast. Or if I am on an early shift and have a breakfast break, I take along a resealable snack bag filled with muesli with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment